Thirteen international architects were invited to submit designs in a limited competition for a prototypical-housing complex of 1500 houses. Each house is incremental, capable of accommodating up to 10 persons (including grandparents). These units, 3 metres wide, broaden to 6 metres at the centre, in an interlocking pattern which orients them NNW-SSE (climatalogically the optimal orientation for Lima). All units have vehicular access from one end and a porch connecting the community spine at the other.
In 1971 a small cluster of a dozen units were built of each of the 13 entries. To make it more earthquake resistant, the common-wall between units was modified to a zig-zag (in which are located service elements such as stairs and toilets).