Electrical appliances are the biggest gift of technology to the mankind. Our lives have been made easier and convenient due to electricity and electrical appliances. Everything is now available at the press of a button. Whether you want to secure your home or simply dim off the lights of your room, everything is carried out perfectly with the state of the art electrical appliances. Modern day life cannot be imagined without bulbs, doorbells, intercoms and home security systems. People are also aware of the energy crisis hence there is also an increasing demand of alternate source of energy besides electricity.
Alternate energy solutions-
- Solar water pumping: Water is essential for both households and commercial places; solar power is used for pumping out water. It has a battery life of 25 years and it comes with a fit and forgets design. It is also good for farmers and for large farm houses.
- Solar photovoltaic system: It stores solar energy and provides electricity supply. It can be rooftop mounted or ground mounted. It is designed to operate for 25 years. It comes with two options—Off Grid-to utilize energy as and when required and on grid- for continuous load operation.
- Other alternate solutions are-solar panels, solar chargers, solar inverters, wind towers and wind turbines.
As people are looking for new options of energy efficient lighting systems, they have more and more choices when it comes to buying light bulbs for their homes and offices.
- Incandescent bulbs
- Fluorescent bulbs
- Halogen bulbsDimmers, Switches and Outlets
Dimmers, Switches and Outlets-
Different types of Dimmers available are:
- Slide dimmers
- Rotary dimmers
- Rocker dimmers
- Toggle dimmers
- LED compatible dimmers
- Remote control dimmers
- Programmable dimmers
- Variable speed dimmers
- These are available in different colours like-orange, purple, red, green, gold etc.
Different types of switches are
- Push button switches
- Rocker switches
- Toggle switches
Based on types of poles-
- Single pole
- 3-way pole
- 4-way pole
- Multi-location pole
- These are available in different colours like-white, brown, beige and black.
Based on types
- Single outlet
- Duplex outlet
- Triplex outlet
- Combo outlet
Based on features-
- GFCI outlet
- USB port outlet
- AFCI outlet
- Weather resistant outlet
- Available in colours like-white, black, almond, grey
Doorbells and Intercoms-
The two types of doorbells are wired and wireless doorbells. While the wired doorbells provides high quality sound and variety of buttons and is less expensive. It has almost no feature. Wireless doorbells on the other hand are easy to install, includes many features like video and audio recording, night vision, LED indicators etc. but, these are more expensive and have less design options. So there are pros and cons of each type. One should thus choose wired/wireless doorbell according to specific needs of the house.
There are three types of intercoms: wired, wireless and video intercoms
- Wireless intercoms: These can be installed very quickly. Different types are-cell phone intercom, wireless gate intercom, Outdoor intercom and door/gate open intercom.
- Wired intercoms: These are less expensive and suitable for areas where wireless signals may not reach. Different types are- apartment intercom, CAT-5 systems, Door intercoms, handset to handset intercom.
- Video intercom: We can see and talk with the visitor without opening the door. These are mostly wired.
Electrical boxes, conduit and fittings-
Electrical boxes can be categorized into wall boxes, ceiling boxes, junction boxes and fan fixture boxes.
Material used for electrical boxes is – PVC, plastic, metal and steel.
Conduit—a conduit is a tube or trough for protecting electrical wiring.
- Conduits can be of two types- metallic and non-metallic.
- Conduit’s length varies from 1ft-750 ft.
- Size in inches varies from 1-4 inches
- It comes in different materials- aluminium, galvanized steel, metal, PVC, stainless steel or steel.
Based on the application type conduit fittings are:
- Grounding conduit fittings
- Liquid tight conduit fittings
- Nonmetallic conduit fittings
- PVC conduit fittings
- Rigid conduit fittings
- Service entrance conduit fittings
Based on fitting types-
- Conduit body
- Sill plate
- Weather head
- Wire holder
Size ranges from 1-6 inches. Material used for conduit fitting is; aluminium, bronze, copper, galvanized steel, Iron, Metal, nylon, PVC, plastic, polycarbonate, polyethylene, polypropylene, stainless steel, steel and zinc.
Home automation system-
Modern day home automation systems are not just meant for security but they can control almost everything from lighting to music in your home. It should be chosen as per your specific requirements. Some tips for choosing your home automation system are:
- Make a list of all things you want to automate room by room.
- The main controller for home operating system can be handled with hardware, software or a combination of the two—a hybrid model.
- Choose control technology as wired/wireless only after assessing point 1 and 2.
Voice and data communication-
Voice, data and video distribution options make it simple to route telephone, data and video throughout the home. These flexible solutions have many available configurations as well as modules and expansion boards that can be added as the needs change for a particular place. Some of the noteworthy products are:
- Voice, data and TV panels
- Twist and mount patch panels
- Telephone input distribution panel
- TV distribution
So, with all these electrical appliances and gadgets your home can be more safe, secure and comfortable.