Designer kid’s bedroom is every parent's dream. To design a functional, comfortable and a friendly kids room is a big challenge for parents to tackle in its own. One has to make the best of space available if there are two or more children by considering their age and gender. There are some special considerations such as kids friendly furniture, appropriate storage, matching quirky upholstery, fun textures colors and patterns etc. to deal with while designing for kids room.
9 Do's to remember - The most important factor for kids room is to include your child's input, know their hobbies and interest and let their bedrooms grow right along with them. Here are some necessary solutions to start with:
1. Do study the anthropometrics, of your kid's age group and above. A lot of planning depends on furniture and its composition, from a preschooler who needs more play area than a young child who wants a full fledge study. Before designing the kids room different stages of children should be considered:
2. Do secure freestanding units to prevent it from toppling. Furniture should be functional and not too heavy or lightweight. Better be safe than sorry, fix all loose and freestanding items to prevent any mishappening for security of the child.
3. Do add cubbies to store reachable accessories or built-in shelves. This will give them a sense of display, arrangement, the value for stuff and they might even keep it clean. eg. easy to reach open shelves or probably below bed storage for clothes, toys, books and sports equipments etc.
4. Do ensure safety first with child friendly furniture as their room is more than a place to sleep and not keep bumping into them. Have furniture with rounded and foamed edges and carpet floors. Have units in close proximity and open shelves for convenient storage.
5. Do wainscot upto 4 feet in chalkboard to create art center. Make it interactive with planned display area to nurture, encourage and motivate their creations. Along with saving your walls from looking shabby with scribble marks else use washable paints or place easel stand for a dedicated drawing space.
6. Do utilize the floor plan and divide it into different activity zones for better space planning. Create well equipped room with playstation, music, rockers and swings as they variegate a child's development and sprout new game ideas. Choose hard floorings like wood or vinyl as it can withstand spills as per the dedicated activity zone.
7. Do have penchant for bright colours, duets and their liked cartoon characters! But for a shared room by a girl and boy opt for neutral paints, aztec pattern, stripes or dual tone colours. Instead wall colours, add graphics for fierce personal sensibilities to prosper. Otherwise, make sure to take inspiration from something unrelated and soothing to ease both kids to sleep.
8. Do play with scale by adding large level pieces to perk up the joy of being in their room that has a fun atmosphere. Include ladders, ropes and slopes in the furniture.
9. Do add a parents corner if you have babies or toddlers to avoid any mishappening. Spare time for their whims by letting them know they are loved. The best is to keep an eye in order to create, grow and prosper them in their own habitual environment.
9 Don'ts to remember - Child's bedroom is always a battleground. With above do's it's equally important to check the following don'ts before designing kids room.
1. Don't spend on furniture that'll outgrow, age sensitive toddler beds need to be changed every 2-3years. Therefore, your paint and furniture should be just fitting but don't restrain yourself with long term solutions. Opt for adjustable furniture like mounted shelves, chair that can be angled, bed and study table that can be increased in length and height.
2. Don't make tech an afterthought, wisely plan your cables around the room and don't keep switch boards and sockets open as kids have a habit of poking. This can lead to hazardous situations harming anybody. Use socket blanking plugs covers to prevent electric shock if the installation is not safe.
3. Don't get hung up with trends as fashion keeps on changing and so your child's taste. So going rabid over the budget is a waste for a temporary look of the room with styles and themes. Especially when buying furnishing, paint and bunk beds. As kids interest fluctuate without much tumult, let them decide the roar of the age.
4. Don't get concerned with hard floors instead plan safe rubber flooring, soft tiles, soft hardwood tiles or carpets in kids playroom to reduce dangerous falls. Keep it safe because if kids are hyperactive, they can harm themselves. Also, don't select bulky or mature furniture, use utilitarian and stylish furniture.
5. Don't underestimate storage as it will keep on increasing with kids. Utilization is the biggest key to maintain an organized space. Don't leave any space undone and make sure there's plenty space to stash their toys, stationery and books as this is where they do school work, daydream and play games.
6. Don't use harsh lighting and don't forget night lamp to maintain a constant eyesight if natural light is insufficient. Let their night be sans horror. Decorate a focal point and highlight that corner to keep it as motivational space when feeling mundane to ease their movement so that their fear might feel irrelevant afterward. The three main areas to focus are working, playing and recreational.
7. Don't overlook the ceiling by applying white paints rather set up a space that looks cool over cute. Turn it into fantasy night sky with glow in the dark lights for girls or soccer field for boys. These can be fun and even comforting for your child to be able to lay in bed and gaze up in the night. Think from a kid's point of view and take the plunge step.
8. Don't shy from taking professional help if your imagination is beyond your limit because experts know better but don't forget to give importance to your kids sparkling imaginations. It's their environment so just a printed curtain drape and essential furniture is enough to make the room look like a decorative element.
9. Don't rule out large furniture and furnishing, create space - not fill it up. Kid's need the room to play. So the fewer pieces of furniture better off you'll be. Large but only units are sufficient rather than too many small pieces that can make a room feel cluttered. Choose simple objects with clean lines and light finish as they give illusion of open space.
P.S. despite the title, managing a space that reflects fun, fosters creativity, stimulates independence and instills responsibility within them is an important aspect of parenting and environmental development.
I am an architect by profession. I completed my Master in Construction Management from Pune. With hands on work experience on various projects in reputed interior design firms, I wish to put my design ideas into words on this platform of sharing articles. I have created a fresh perspective to help the readers tackle a project, and embrace... | more articles from Vandana
More articles from similar category
Amazing Diwali Decoration Ideas With Lanterns And Lamps
Top Ideas For Lighting Decoration In Diwali
Free Hand Rangoli Design Ideas For Festivals
Courtyard Garden Design Ideas
Outdoor Flooring Ideas
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked (*)
Space Planning And Design Ideas For Kid's Room Decor
Space Saving Idea Execute With Hafele Fittings