The area of intervention is located at Assi Ghat, historically the southernmost end of the historic city of Kashi. Environmental improvement is proposed in a holistic manner in an area which will include about 250 M. on either side of Assi Ghat and about 250-500 M. inland. The area includes the four significant Ghats- Assi, Ganga Mahal, Reeva and Tulsi Ghat.
The project includes various proposals for the convivial use of the riverfront:
- Visually and physically disconnected Ghats to be connected through continuous promenades proposed at two levels.
- Uneven kutcha riverbed on the Ghat edge which is highly unsafe during low water levels: Submerged bathing platform proposed.
- Silting of the river bank especially towards Tulsi Ghat
- Inappropriate and ad-hoc development of public spaces on the riverfront such as Chowks, squares etc. These will be redeveloped to create suitable spaces which are needed for the pilgrims and the visitors.
- Ghat Infrastructure and Pilgrim Amenities shall be improved by providing change rooms, toilets, drinking water points, seating, etc.
- Inadequate lighting to be augmented with solar PV plant based LED lighting.
- Sporadic and unorganized Kiosks/Stalls to be organised.
- Facilities for traditional communities such as Pandas, Mallahas and the Nais to be provided.
- Extension of the Ghats and providing parking for MVs, NMVs., para transport stands for auto and cycle rickshaw, a small crafts market, Boat management office (on the lines of pre paid taxi services), Area maintenance office and stores, life Guard Facility a two storied booth for police and life guard services.