Location: Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
History The Cathedral and John Connon School is a coeducational school run by the Anglo Scottish Education society. Spread over four buildings - the Infant, Junior, Middle and Senior Schools, the school has about 1700 students studying from transition (upper k.g.) to the twelfth grade. The project was a multifaceted one, and we often felt the logistics touched battlefield proportions! The task involved the upgradation of the existing school buildings, each located independently, without disrupting the normal functioning of the school. Three of the buildings are in the Victorian Gothic style of architecture, while the fourth was built in the 1960\'s. The building that was taken up first for restoration was the Middle School, designed by John Adams, Architectural Executive to the Government of Bombay.
The restoration work began in January 1993 and was completed in June 1994. The next building to be taken up for restoration was the Senior School, in 1995. Ugly additions to the original heritage building were partially demolished and replaced by compatible and sensitive extensions. The project was executed in two phases with the R.C.C. framed structure being taken up in Phase I and completed in November 1996. Phase II, which comprised the restoration and renovation of the original heritage building, was completed by November 1998, after which work on the Junior School started. The Cathedral and John Connon Junior School is located in the Fort area and bound by the main arterial M.G.Road on the west, Marzaban Road on the east and Napier Road on the north. The original building designed by John Adams was completed in November 1881. Over the years, like the other two buildings, various insensitive interventions have taken place.The building had also deteriorated structurally. The work consisted of
restoration of the heritage building, expansion and upgrading of the later additions and the addition of a fourth floor over the entire footprint of the building. Construction started in August 1999 and was completed in December 2001. The present total built up area is 3066 sq.m. As in the case of the senior and middle schools, this school was in an extremely run-down condition. Toilets were located in corridor spaces resulting in extensive leakages and service lines criss-crossing the corridors, encroachment of corridor spaces by rooms and storage areas, rotting of wooden joists, damaged stone work, cornices and column capitals and deterioration of the roof members and the spire over the staircase block. Our work combined restoring all the elements of the wonderful heritage building and integrating the new construction with the old building in a cohesive and harmonious manner. All existing wooden windows and doors have been polished and reused. The two wooden existing staircases have been repaired and polished;
highlighting the wonderful detailing that existed. In the contemporary addition, two new staircases have been constructed. Toilet banks for girls, boys and staff have been introduced. An independent R.C.C. framework from within the building supports the additional floor load. The rooms on the third floor are made column free by using steel portal frames for supporting the roof. The total numbers of classrooms are now 15 and other facilities include an art room, a multipurpose room, a library, a gymnasium and a computer laboratory. The east side entrance has been widened as it is used extensively by the students due to the heavy traffic on the M.G. Road side entrances. The opening of this school building completed the third and the final phase of the restoration and expansion of the three heritage buildings of the Cathedral and John Connon School Complex.