THE BOMBAY SOCIETY FOR THE PREVENTION OF CRUELTY TO ANIMALS was founded in December 1874 and soon it was realized that a veterinary hospital was an imperative necessity for the societya's objectives to be effectively secured. Sir Dinshaw Petit,who had taken from the outset a keen interest in the work of the society, decided to make the provision of a veterinary hospital his own special care. In the year 1884, the hospital was opened named after his wifea's name-The Bai Sakarbai Dinshaw Petit Hospital for the Animals with three wards, one accommodating horses, and the other two for bullocks. Slowly more blocks were added and the veterinary college was opened with in the campus in 1886. The lush green campus located in Parel spreads around the area of about 35,000 sqmtr. It falls under Heritage Grade II B, which contributes strongly to the image and identity of the city. The buildings which were restored by 2009 are Cattle Ward and Aviary. Other important buildings like ML ward , Staff quarters and Patho-bacteriological laboratory are under proposal for restoration.
CONSERVATION PROCESS AND DETAILS CATTLE WARD- It is a rectangular building used for cattle treatments. The most important concern was to keep it functionally hygienic with improved drain channels and good ventilation. The building was in rubble stone masonry which was retained and re-plastered. Wooden trusses, battens and purlins were examined for strength and re-used with little treatment over it. Roof tiles which were in good state were reused with the new tiles. Front elevation was accentuated with the use of wooden fascia for the sloping roof detail and adding color to the external walls. All the rainwater pipes were reworked in coordination with the layout. All the door window frames were retained and reused with the required treatment over it. AVIARY- This building needed a restoration as well as additional work. The central court was expanded to include more sheds for other animals such as monkeys and birds. As the existing roof had created light and ventilation issues, we replaced the roof with a fiber glass translucent material. The additional sheds were added not to interfere with the existing trees. We added color by creating mosaic patterns upto plinth level which makes it maintenance friendly.