Location: Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
The original building was completed in 1881. John Adams was the architect for the for the club premises. In 1976 due to structural reasons about one third of the existing building was demolished and R.C.C. interventions introduced. S&K was appointed to restore the old existing building and reconstruct the demolished section to create a complete' building once again. Work began in 2004 and was completed in 2007. A seamless extension was introduced based on existing photographs and renderings. The extension had also to capture the imposing characteristics of the old existing building to ensure this continuity. The existing structure was strengthened and restored keeping in mind new requirements of the user. All existing buildings pose challenges. A major challenge here was in the use of contemporary materials and recycling existing material (especially wood) to ensure integration of the old and new. Once a retreat for the city's resident Europeans, the Old Yacht Club is today a hub for the Department of Atomic Energy.