Living room is the place where we sit, talk and mix with family members or entertain our guests. It is the heart of any home. So, likewise living room furniture should be chosen with care and with proper planning and consideration. There are many things which can be assimilated in a living room like sofa, coffee tables, lamps, chairs, T.V cabinets, ottomans etc.
Before you start on with your search, here’s a complete guide of living room ideas to direct you to choose the most appealing and adjusting set of furniture for your space.
Sofas & Sectionals for Living Room-
They add warmth and elegance to a space but choosing one can be a task with various styles and fabrics available. Here is a quick rundown to get you started with decorating your living room:
- Sofas: These can be stationary, recliner or sleeper sofa.
- Sectional sofa: It is divided into sections and is also known as Modular sofa. It can be two piece, curved or reversible sectional sofa.
- Sofa beds: Ideal for small spaces can be converted to bed at night time.
- Loveseats: Seats only two people. Can be of two types single and multiple loveseats.
- Futons: These are basically roll able mattresses which can serve as soft sofa seat over wooden or metal benches.
- Living room sets: The set may consist of all the four elements i.e. sofa, loveseat, chair and an ottoman.
Upholstery of the sofa or sectional sofa can be in faux leather, polyester, microfiber, cotton, twill, velvet or leather.
Chaise Lounge Chairs-
Add style and alternate your custom chairs and couches with a much comfortable lounger.
- Measure your space as they acquire significant space
- Available in multiple colours and styles ,choose the apt one
- Know your purpose of purchase-recline or spacious
Chairs and Recliners Seating-
There are different types of chairs like with or without arms available according to the decor of the living room and purpose of lounging.
- Accent chairs: Latest designs are winged, slipper or arm chairs.
- Chairs: Available in the size of small, medium and large lift chairs.
- Gliders: Ultimate in comfort fit for cozy corner in living area.
- Settees & Benches: Minimal in look can accommodate a lot of people.
- Rocking chairs: Available in all wood or fully covered varieties with or without foot rest.
- Recliners: They come in two options; reclining loveseats and reclining sectional sofa.
Coffee Table and Center Table-
Centre table adds a unique charm to room and is often the most attractive piece of furniture in the living room. Despite being multi used as lamp tables or desks, dining spots in a living. They can be used as room fillers to help organize the cramming pieces.
- Coffee Table: or Centre Table to set your drinks.
- Side or End Table: hold lamps and additional to sofa sides.
- Console Table: used to hold décor pieces and are right at the back of sofa with similar height.
- Nesting Tables: fit beneath eachother in a series of three tables.
- Trunks: are generally used for decorative purpose and storage units.
- Bar Cart: to hold your favourite adult beverages
Points to consider before you choose one:
- Height of the coffee table should be at least 2" lower than the sofa.
- Choose rectangle table for Linear furniture and round for for small spaces.
- For houses with small children use wooden tops rather than glass tops to avoid bruises and fingerprints.
A modern living is incomplete without a dedicated space for T.V unit in living room which consists of two or more shelves, drawers, space for storing DVDs, CDs and other entertainment equipment.
Also known as Media Storage as it hides the unwanted wires in any living room. Material for T.V cabinets cab be wood, metal or glass.
Available in variety of finishes like oak, pine, black, white or cream finish to match with the furniture.
The basic intention of an ottoman is to serve as a foot rest but modifications have made it multifunctional and a showpiece item of the living room furniture as well.
- Ottomans can also be used as coffee tables, Poufs.
- Can be used to place items of living room like T.V remotes or game remotes, toys etc.
Ideas for choosing furniture for a small living room-
- Use armless chairs if there is space constraints.
- Use slipper chairs instead of heavy winged chairs or recliners.
- Choose a centre table which is of transparent acrylic or glass top.
- Stick to the golden rule of one sofa, one table and one chair. Decorate with any other piece if still there is a room.