An important public garden was originally designed and constructed in year 1884 during the British rule in India. The Municipal Corporation felt the need to revamp the place to improve its public use as large lawn patches were cordoned off, making them out of bound for the public. Although popular with the families, this public place was extensively used by students as study space.
The identity of garden was enhanced by converting one large static rock, a remnant of previous excavation to make way for a water tank, into a dynamic water cascade dominating the entire garden.
Developed in two phases the park associated with water reservoirs is an important landmark in Mumbai.