The International VELUX Award encourages students of architecture to explore the theme of sunlight and daylight in its widest sense to create a deeper understanding of this specific and ever relevant source of light and energy. The International VELUX Award is presented every second year to promote and celebrate excellence in completed study works in any scale from small-scale components to large urban contexts or abstract concepts and experimentation.
The Award is global and open to any registered student of architecture backed by a teacher from a school of architecture. The total prize money is 30,000 Euro. The jury, comprising internationally renowned architects and other building professionals will award a number of prize winners and honourable mentions. The winners will be invited to the Award event and all projects submitted for the Award will be displayed on the Award website.
Registration for the International VELUX Award for Students of Architecture is open from 2 September 2013 to 3 March 2014.
The jury, who met in June in Copenhagen to evaluate all the entries, comprises:
- Brigitte Shim (Canada), professor at the University of Toronto and principal at Shim-Sutcliffe Architects. Elected jury chairman at the jury meeting
- Peter Stutchbury (Australia), principal of Peter Stutchbury Architecture
- Juan Miro (US), professor at the University of Texas and principal of Miro Rivera Architects
- Per Arnold Andersen, architect and head of Daylight, Energy and Indoor Climate Department in the VELUX Group
- Alvaro Siza was appointed to the jury, but due to an unfortunate injury a few days before the jury meeting, he was not able to attend.
The total prize money is 30,000 Euro. The number of prize winners and honourable mentions will be decided by the jury.
|Minimum 8,000 Euro for the student(s) and 2,000 Euro for the teacher(s)|
|2nd prize ||Minimum 4,000 Euro for the students(s) and 1,000 Euro for the teacher(s) |
Up to ten projects will be shortlisted for honourable mention and an Award trophy. The jury may award special prizes for categories or themes.
The winners will be invited to the award event.
All winning projects will be exhibited at the Award event. All submitted projects will be displayed online on this website after the Award event.