Furniture is the key element while designing the interiors of any space. Whether you want to use your space for sitting, relaxing, working, eating or doing anything furniture adds elegance and functionality to that space. Investing in good quality furniture can be rewarding as it can last up to lifetime and one can easily handover to the next generations. However, for those who are keen on changing looks or renovating –used or refurbished furniture can also be a good option.
Types of furniture-
Depending upon the usage of the space, the types of furniture can be:
• Single seating:
For single seating one can choose different types of furniture like-chair, bean bag, ottoman, and recliner, and stool, buffet.
• Multiple seats:
For seating more than one person we can choose from-Benches, Couch or sofa, Divan and love-seat.
For sleeping or relaxing we can opt for furniture like-Futon, Bed, hammock, Sofa-bed.
surface furniture can be-desk, table, changing table, wash stand and work bench.
For storing we have different categories of furniture like-bookcase, chest of drawers, wardrobe, wine rack, safe, sideboard, coat hangers, hat stand etc.
Materials for furniture-
Modern day furniture uses wide variety of materials or a combination of all types listed below:
This is the age-old and trusted material for making furniture. Some of the best types of wood for making furniture are teak, rosewood, mahogany. Now days, solid wood has been replaced by veneer boards or laminate. Laminate boards are further subdivided into –particle boards, MDF, HDF, pre-laminated boards, fiber boards etc.
This is the ecofriendly version of wood. It is light and airy and gives a casual look to the space.
• Wrought iron:
This material has been used since ages; it is the hallmark of elegance and style. Good for both outdoors and indoors.
This is made from soft woven plant branches. It is light and easy to maintain. It is good as outdoor furniture.
It is tough, needs low maintenance and is good for both outdoors and indoors.
It is known for its resistance against rust and corrosion. It is good for outdoors.
Now day’s furniture is made by combining different materials like wood, glass, acrylic, brass and fabric to achieve the ultimate look.
Room specific furniture-
Kids room: Kids room furniture should be sturdy but without any sharp sides. It should be able to with stand the jumping, pulling and if possible it should be scratch resistant. Essentials for kids’ rooms are:
• Toddler or kids bed
• Multipurpose table and chairs
• Toy box cum benches
• Study tables
Bedroom: This place for relaxing and resting. So accordingly furniture should be comfortable:
• King/Queen sized bed
• Bedside table
• Dressing table
• Chair or couch
Living room: Living room is used for family get together and mixing up. Some of the furniture essentials are:
• Coffee table
• Side table
Modular office furniture: Modern day office furniture is easy to install and totally functional. It not only looks good but also serves its purpose effortlessly. Some of the furniture categories are:
• Filing cabinet
• Desk/computer desk
• Ergonomic chairs
• Modular office cubicles
• Modular conference table and chairs
• Storage units
Tips while buying used or refurbished furniture-
Sometimes, used furniture is also considered while changing the interiors; especially if it is to be decorated on a limited budget. Following are the tips to keep in mind while considering such furniture:
- It is good to always try out the furniture before buying. Inspect closely for cuts and joints or any re-polishing done to hide faults.
- Used hotel furniture can be a good option for furnishing homes. Such furniture is nicely maintained.
- Do not buy used mattresses as they may be infested.
- While choosing used kids furniture always check if it has been recalled and what is the apparent fault in the piece.
- Metal furniture can be a good option after rust has been removed and it has been polished. It also comes cheap.
- Furniture which requires lot of assembly work may not be sturdy and durable.
- Always have dimensions of the space ready while going for furniture shopping.
- Always look for quality. Buying used furniture does not mean that you should fill your space with junk.